Today I finally went and finalised my Christmas shopping.
Like probably 99% of the population I chose to go to the closest Westfield Shopping Centre... Well 2 weeks before Christmas... you can imagine how busy that was...
Now it got me thinking that I wish I had more time up my sleeve and I regretted not starting it way in advance but also under different conditions (for example at all the markets we do all year long...).
So as I was blaming myself, I started thinking of the various shopping experiences we can have, the way we live these days and the Pros & Cons of shopping in shopping centres versus shopping at markets... and here is what I came up with -
Shopping in Shopping Centres
* Parking (Except at Christmas time)
* One Stop Shop (all under the same roof)
* Comfort (air con, safety...)
* Attractive merchandising / display
* Crowded (Especially at Christmas time)
* Temptation is everywhere
* Same shops (big franchises) from one shopping centre to another - This is not always appealing to the customers AND makes it difficult for small businesses to compete and survive.
Shopping at Markets
* Friendly Atmosphere
* Find more out of the ordinary products (craft, handmade, labels not available in retail...) - usually good gifts
* Supports family and small businesses
* Great for the community
* Enjoyable browsing time
* Takes more time - Cannot find everything
* Seasonal and weather dependant